Thesis: The 12th Century Renaissance was a rebirth of knowledge that was lost by the Europeans in Europe. (All the knowledge of the ancient times, was stored in the western parts of the Roman Empire. After the fall of the empires, the Muslims gained control. The knowledge was lost from Europe and they fell into an age of darkness, the Dark Ages. The 12th Century Renaissance was what brought folks out of the Dark Ages)
3 Primary Source Quotes:
1. Poetry was rich and thriving during the Renaissance: "Why, even the Old Testament fathers made use of poetry, both heroic song and other kinds." (
2. Genius artists such as Da Vinci were flourishing in the 12th Century. - "This was seen by all mankind in Leonardo da Vinci, in whom, besides a beauty of body never sufficiently extolled, there was an infinite grace in all his actions; and so great was his genius, and such its growth, that to whatever difficulties he turned his mind, he solved them with ease." (Vasari)
3. A great republic in Florence was coming about. - "Founders of monarchies and republics, who were enabled to establish laws suitable for the general good only by keeping for themselves an exclusive authority; but all these are so well known that I will not further refer to them." (Machiavelli)
Is a monarchy more or less effective than a democracy?
Thesis: A democracy has proved to be more effective because a democracy promotes equality and freedom and does not focus on one, solitary leader.
1. King's pretended to want anything but money and power. - "Our King does not desire gold or gems or precious metals, but virtue, glory," (Mountjoy)
2. Queen's thought they could lead like a king. - "I know I have but the body of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart of a king, and of a king of England," (Queen Elizabeth)
3. A democracy include all people, and were united as one. “We the People of the United States…” (The Constitution)
Why do you think the Church and the monasteries became the centers of learning?
"About.com: Http://www.historyplace.com/speeches/elizabeth.htm." Medieval History - Life in the Middle Ages and Renaissance. Web. 04 June 2010.
"King Henry VIII: Biography, Portraits, Primary Sources." EnglishHistory.net. Web. 04 June 2010.
"Medieval Sourcebook: Giorgio Vasari: Life of Leonardo Da Vinci 1550." FORDHAM.EDU. Web. 04 June 2010.
"On the Nature of Poetry." History Department, Hanover College. Web. 04 June 2010.
"The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net." Index Page - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net. Web. 04 June 2010.